Grades 1-5 are beginning new lessons on kites. As we construct the kites, we will be discussing symmetry, geometry, balance, measurements, and shape. When we prepare to fly the kites and test them we will be discussing the forces of flight: lift, weight, drag and thrust.
Grades 1 & 2 are going to be decorating, and building the kites; however grades 3-5 will be designing kites by hand. The importance of balance will be emphasized.
Students will be able to answer:
- Why do kites need to be balanced?
- What happens when kites are unbalanced?
- Are kites usually symmetrical?
- Why are they symmetrical?
- How did your kite fly?
- What lifts the kite?
- What factors influenced how your kite flew?
- Would you have changed the design of your kite? If so, how?